Monday 5 March 2012

Turned out nice in the end

A weekend totally dominated by the weather. Saturday started off dull and wet so I got some work done but just after lunch the skies cleared and I got out for a wander. As usual at the farthermost point from home a rain shower hit and I hid by a tree whilst watching the resulting rainbow.
I pin pointed the rainbows end to the base of the distant tree and was tempted to go look for the much needed pot of gold but I didn't think that farmer Meek would live up to his name if he caught me! The afternoon was then spent in search of the Shrike, to no avail until Brian turned up and got straight onto it way in the distance north of the goats. We then spent the next hour watching owls which kept their distance until the photographers packed up but of course by then the light was poor.
Sunday morning started with a male Siskin on the nyger feeder.

Regular visitors to the garden this last week. Then off for a count which was uneventful and cut short by the returning rain. This time it grew steadily heavier and Sunday was spent preying for Newcastle to get an equaliser (thanks mate), ploughing through some more work and sorting photographs. I realised from this that one of the Long tailed Tits that have spread out into small groups and are obviously nest building (if only I could find the nest) has been ringed.

I had the opportunity to ask AG if he had done it as he was back trying to ring the owls of which more later but it was not him so posssibly a Big Waters or Ponteland Park bird. Anyway as we spoke the sun broke through and Sunday ended all aglow.

Earlier rain means no people so the deer may play in the late evening sun which highlights their white bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment