Saturday 21 April 2012

A good start

The weekend started well as the deluge that had stayed over the area since lunchtime subsided and I got out to play. The ditches are full and the fields flooded so come on down you waders! I met Ron and Caz on the way up the bridlepath and they reported hearing Grasshopper Warbler so I soldiered on meeting Bill who said the female Redstart had appeared. Couldn't see it but I could hear the male singing! A single Short eared Owl was flying and they Great Grey Shrike remained in its favourite bushes.
Out sharp then on Saturday with hope in the heart and Willow Warblers singing at 25 yard intervals up the bumpy road and then that familiar sound. A gropper reeling.....

accompanied by Willow Warbler and Reed Bunting. Pressing on I couldn't find the hoped for waders but Oystercatcher and Shelduck made use of the flashes. Two Fieldfare called from trees to my right and as I approached the ruin the familiar song of Redstart. It took me ages to find the blighter high up in the trees but here's the proof. Another in a long line of crap Redstart pictures!
The mornings walk ended at Banks Pond with Blackcap added to the patch year list which now stands on 79. The total for three hours ended on 56 species which isn't far short of my record of 62 which was made in similar flooded spring conditions. Out later for another installment and hope to push the day list on with some Owls and a Wheatear or Yellow Wagtail would be nice.

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure that's not just a sweet wrapper caught in the branches :)
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've been bemoaning the litter louts on the Carr of late

    ReplyDelete