Sunday 15 April 2012

Mixed

A very mixed bag this morning as I set off in bright sunshine without my hat feeling that the brisk cool wind would do me good. A Magpie cast me an evil eye perhaps questioning the good sense in venturing out uncovered.
Plenty of bird song with Skylark, Wren and Greenfinch noticable along with distant Chiffchaff and Song Thrush. Willow Warblers were now singing at fairly regular intervals along the bumpy road and up toward the ranges where I could not go because of firing. I scanned the horse fields for Wheatear or Ring Ouzel but none were there but the Curlews were gathered round some flash water in the distance along with two Lesser black back Gulls which seem to have made this home for the moment. I turned toward the Golf Club and as I passed a gate noticed the Golden Plovers, which must now number up to 500, were closer than usual. I got off a couple of shots before...........
being pelted with hail from a storm that had blown in from the north. I swore as there are few opportunities to get close to these handsome birds. I sheltered near Prestwick Mill before turning for home in now cold, bleak greyness. The Plovers had gone and the Army was now raising quite a barrage of rifle fire having started off with some high velocity sniper fire (you can tell by the interval between hearing the shot and the round hitting the butt).
When I got back to the other end of the road the weather was set fair again with blue sky, white clouds and a solitary Swalllow passed overhead so I decided to take in Banks Pond on the off chance of Sand Martin. No Martins but Little Grebe and Tufted Duck added to the patch year list along with pairs of Mute Swans, Coot and Moorhen and accompanied by more banging from Steve Smiths Clay Pigeon Shoot. It can be noisy bird watching round here.

Would you credit it, more hail as I turned for home. Wish I'd brought my hat so hid in Shay Givens conifer hedge until it passed. As I got home two Oystercatcher lifted from the field opposite and flew overhead in bright sunshine once again. What a country!
At home and dinking a nice warm cup of coffee I noticed this Spuggie in the garden. Unusually rich chestnut cap lacking in grey and clean appearance suggests Tree Sparrow mix or is it just a dominant male? This interbreeding did occur in one of my nest boxes a few years ago but the eggs failed due to...........you guessed it, bad weather.

4 comments:

  1. Looks very similar to the hybrid Spanish x House depicted in Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. compare it to this one http://thenaturalstone.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/tuscan-treasures.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have gone with the Collins italiae X if we weren't so far north. Given the previous history I still err on the montanus X but would love to prove the former.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having said that I've just run through all my Passer montanus shots and not one has white above the eye stripe. Will put it forward to the CRC as possible italiae X.

    ReplyDelete