Tuesday 12 October 2010

Walk like an........


Egyptian Goose at Whittle Dene last night. I was in the hide watching a flock of 30 or so Greylag Geese feeding in the ploughed field just east of the Great Northern Reservoir and bemoaning the fact that the chill wind was blowing from the direction I was wishing to look, when over the hill appeared this bird apparently wearing eye make up.


Over the next ten minutes it gradually got closer but never too near to any of the Greylags.




It is debatable where it has come from as most Egyptian Geese up here in the bleak north are generally regarded as escapes but nice to see all the same.


No rings or tags apparent when I got some close up views but you just never know. Also on Whittle Dene last night 100 plus Canada Geese, hundreds of Black Headed and Common Gulls bathing, 2 Mute Swans, 3 Little Grebe, and a smattering of Teal, Mallard and Wigeon all hiding round the corner so difficult to count.



Also overhead thirty five Skylark and the usual flock of Jackdaws. The diary had an entry reporting thousands of Starlings at a pre roost flock the previous evening reminding me of 2001 when I witnessed the biggest gathering I'd ever seen which I eventually quantified as around 100,000. After a meeting in Ovington I returned to see if this was a repeat event but not a bird was in sight.

2 comments:

  1. This is probably the Goose which has been around for a couple of years now at various reserves in south northumberland and durham and I would definately add it to my county list if I saw it. It's a lot better than the pair at Stakeford Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog following some 'spying' and great to see I'm included in your 'Following' list, much appreciated.

    Sorry I can't find your name anywhere but please don't be 'sad' or a 'loner' whilst I do understand your being p***** of with the modern world and all it's faults.

    Pete (Birds2blog) Woodruff.

    ReplyDelete