Wednesday 2 May 2012

Hot spot


Out early this morning to see if anything else had dropped in and the first thing I hear is the hurried scratchy warble of a Whitethroat.  8 Whimbrel, 30 Golden Plover, 10 Dunlin were still present and a mess of gulls that may have moved the Spotted Reshank, Redshank and 3 Black tailed Godwit present yesterday evening. Two pairs of Swans with pairs of Gadwall and Tufted duck floated where Meadow Pipit should be nesting and a Wheatear again in the corner of a field where it has been for four days now.
Reflecting on Monday evening I noted that it was in the same place where most of my other special sightings have occured.
In the not very auspicious location of fifty meters either side of the flagpole on the bumpy road I have in the last fifteen years seen Bittern, Red backed Shrike, Great Grey Shrike, Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, White tailed Eagle, Short & Long-eared Owls, Gannet and my only Nuthatch ever seen on patch. I also have a half claim on Hobby but was relying on a phone call from GB on the other side of the fen and couldn't really make out the markings on the bird hawking in the distance.
Today just Willow Warbler, Reed Bunting, Mallard and Grasshopper Warbler calling there but I eagerly await my next visitor to this apparently bleak location.

1 comment:

  1. Thats a good place that is. Nowt bleak about it at all !!
    Bet you have twnety blokes with BIG lenses standing there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete