Sunday 13 May 2012

Mistle play for me

Saturday mornings sunshine was more than welcome and my usual wander was pleasant if a little too warm as I still had the lining in my coat. The flood had been topped up by the recent rain but Whimbrel were the only birds of note. I can't remember multiple birds staying for this length of time before and wonder if they would breed like the Curlew whose flock has now largely broken up with pairs dispersed over the farmland to the north. This Mistle Thrush is one of a pair holding territory at Mayfair Cottage and has been on his own of late so I suspect she's on the nest.
He spend most of his time either in the trees keeping watch or feeding in the paddock to the west and if Crows or Magpies come close the usual battle ensues.
It always pays to keep an eye out for the neighbours when they fly over. 
There's still three Wheatear in the horse paddocks and I saw quite a few up the coast yesterday afternoon in pursuit of some Birdguide reports. In preparation for seeing some 'hot' birds I took the lining out of my coat and of course.......froze my butt off. British summertime eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment