Monday 16 July 2012

D up

A pretty run of the mill weekend so nothing spectacular for my 500th post. East Chevington seemed to be lifting with Stoats this being one of four seen whilst trying to find the Red backed Shrike.
Chatting to the local farmers on patch none of them have been able to get any hay in due to the flooding and it's now gone to seed and will probably be left to rot. What's worse is that many main crops of Wheat and Rape are also on the verge of being lost. Of course the one field in the county I hoped wouldn't be cut for reasons I will one day divulge was cut Sunday morning. Typical........
Not so typical were two Great Creasted Grebe on the sea off Hauxley on Saturday.
and our Pectoral visitor at Cresswell had made a new chum who came in handy to churn up the mud but had a nasty spitting habit.
and a case of you scratch my back .................at Druridge

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching 500! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. The work you put into this blog is much appreciated.

    I always stop to chat to farmers and shepherds when I can. They like to know people care. However, the best one can hope to discover about their current prospects is "So-so". I've never met a really happy one. This lack of enthusiasm is spreading through the work force. Few people now enjoy their work even when it is what they wanted to do in life – these latter ones the least it seems.

    Back to birds. Happy to report large flock of Golden Plover in one Northumberland upland haunt containing many juveniles; also Lapwings in goodly numbers. Weather must have had some effect but less so than I dared hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure congratulations is correct but thanks all the same. I agree that farmers are rarely if ever satisfied with their lot and that few of us are. Good to look on the bright side though and frankly there's little to fear in life now compared to the past.

    ReplyDelete