Thursday 16 December 2010

Nordic conditions




The other week whilst watching my local Jackdaws feeding on the kitchen roof I noticed a bird with a white collar. Grabbing the camera I got a shot of it on the neighbours soil pipe (last pic)and e-mailed it to GB with the query 'Nordic race?' Graeme answered certainly showing characteristics and added he had observed a bird at Killingworth Lake that was most noticeably of this Northern race.







Having spent Monday and Tuesday housebound waiting 48 hours for the delivery of my replacement zoom lens sent on 24 hour delivery, I was eager to test it and with Wednesday being so dull here was my first proper opportunity.



Initially I spotted these two birds below the right hand of which is showing a collar although light conditions were testing. Then, after half an hour the bird pictured above showed up. Quite bold and certainly not afraid of the camera I just wonder if there is too much white for it to be Nordic Jackdaw but head on it certainly has a collar.




Of course as soon as I got focused on the bird some old giffer laboured out of his car and started feeding the (approximate numbers) 100 Swans, 100 Coots, 75 Canada Geese, 2 Greylag Geese, 50 Tufted Duck, 50 Mallard, 50 Moorhen, 2 Farmyard Ducks, 2 Goldeneye, 1 Pochard and Gulls too numerous to mention. The bird was of course lost in the ensuing melee.





I haven't managed to find this bird again but the soil pipe now resides horizontally in the garden due to snow pushing it off the wall.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute.Good post. I was very interested in the article. it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job. I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards.
    24 hour alcohol delivery milton keynes

    ReplyDelete