Monday 22 July 2013

Who's stalking whom

Little Egret is a bird I hadn't encountered this year till Saturday when sitting in the Ponteland hide at Hauxley, Chris ( apologies if I've got the wrong name) said there was a bird in flight which promptly landed in the field on the other side of the pond and hid behind the hedge. After a while it eventually moved sufficiently to get the ID but after half an hour hadn't come nearer so I headed off to East Chevington where Dave E advised a Little Egret had just flown in and there it was, a country mile away but nice anyway and probably the same bird.
On Sunday after doing my webs I headed up to Bywell for some Dipper action and as I waited for a dozing bird to start feeding scanned upstream where a large white bird stood on the bank. A Heron soon approached and it flew toward me, obviously a Little Egret and a couple of semi distant shots were had before it noticed me and flew back off upstream. It was only when I enlarged the shots at home that I noticed it was ringed which suggests it's the same bird that Jack saw at St Mary's wetland last week rather than the individual that was noted by Chester birder near the Tyne at Shibdon.
Good job it's white at that distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment