Thursday 13 May 2010

A minor obsession

A week or so ago I posted a pic of a Snipe drumming. I've always been intrigued by the strange noise they make when displaying. Last night up the range track a bird spent ten minutes doing figure of eights around me climbing and diving with the outer tail feathers making that eerie sound. Managed to catch a few moments but not easy hand held with a 600 fixed F8 mirror and manual focus although these days you can just blast away and see what you get. Pretty average but then like I say, I'm a bit obsessed.

I guess I must get myself a new auto focus lens but things are a bit tight of late. I'll now wait for my fellow bloggers to provide some pin sharp, up the chuff piece pics of the same but be quick, the seasons nearly over!


1 comment:

  1. I've got a modest auto focus, but the challenge is having the bird in the frame at the right spot for long enough for the autofocus not to go berserk as it flips from bird to distant cloud.

    The first shot is great; really shows the drumming equipment.

    ReplyDelete