Monday 8 August 2011

Ruff count





O.k. ignore the last post. When I checked the flooded hay fields at 5.30 there were four heads bobbing up and down so dashed back to the car for the scope and lo I was barking. Ruff, Ruff, Ruff, Ruff. I tried to get a better view further up the road but hedges, bushes and flooded ditches prevented a photographic opportunity so I returned to the gate at Mayfair Cottage and was joined by Bill.



A Greenshank called from above but couldn't be seen then the distinctive sound of Snipe being flushed and a flock of 16 flew off north.




Returned to the Ruff area and counted 1,2,3,4,5 & 6. Well evcn better and as we chatted we remembered the last good flood when Pec Sand, Wood Sand, Greenshank, Little Stint, Ruff and Grey Plover all put in an appearance. As we dreamed four Ruff took off and after some wheeling landed in the far corner of the field. I checked for the other two but there were still six so the final scores on the doors........ten. Early start tomorrow in the hope of more me thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment