Wednesday 17 October 2012

A bad ID day

Having spent Saturday morning thinking four Mute Swans were Whoopers (thanks Alan I'm sure when I first saw them in the early morning sun there was no black around the eyes but the likelyhood of four juvenile Whoopers flying off and four similarly plumaged Mutes returning is close to nil!), I compounded the idiocy in the afternoon at Cresswell Pond convincing myself the bird with the white cheeks was the long staying Long tailed Duck.
The photograph proves it to be a Common Scoter although the cheek is whiter than I normally associate with this species. Oh well. Age and blindness has finally got to me.
No how can I turn this into a purple Heron? Tinted glasses perhaps
Just to confuse me further, Rock Pipit in Meadow Pipit habitat or is it a..................oh never mind.

1 comment:

  1. We've all done it! I have never seen a Common Scoter with such markings.

    ReplyDelete